The Impact for the Arts + Creative Industries
The Facts Build the Case for the Arts + Creative Industries
Recommended Reading and Resources
The following reports and resources offer information and data on the Arts + Creative Industries in Washtenaw County, the State of Michigan and the U.S.A.
According to the Bureau of Economic Analysis 2021 release, the US Arts + Creative Industries output is higher than tourism, transportation and construction.
- $919.7 billion industry
- 5.2 million wage‐and‐salary workers (not including gig workers)
- $447 billion in wages not including gig workers.
According to the Bureau of Economic Analysis 2021 release, Michigan’s arts + creative industries output is higher than its transportation, utilities, agriculture, educational services and mining.
- $15.4 billion industry
- 2.9% “GDP”
- 122,288 jobs.
- $8.14 billion in compensation, not including creative gig workers – (2.7% of total state compensation)
COVID-19 Impact on the Arts + Creative Industries
- Arts, entertainment & recreation account for a staggering 36.3% of total nonprofit jobs lost since February 2020. Add to this, gig workers and those who have lost their positions in the for profits arts and entertainment sector. Read the full Candid report here
- COVID-19’s Pandemic’s Impact on The Arts: Research UpdateThe coronavirus is having a devastating impact on America’s arts sector. Since the first U.S. case was reported in January 2020, cancellations have taken place at virtually every arts organization in the country and artists/creative workers are among the most severely affected segment of the nation’s workforce. This is a summary of research by Americans for the Arts and others on the human and financial impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on the arts.
For top researchers, funders, service organizations, and hundreds of cultural organizations who want to make informed decisions about how and when to re-start programming based on rigorous research data. Bookmark this website as the go-to source of information on research findings, scenario planning, and critical thinking about audiences and programming
Produced or recommended by Creative Washtenaw
Includes statistics about the companies, jobs, wages and economic impact in Washtenaw, Michigan and the U.S.
The Creative Industries in Washtenaw County, Creative Many Michigan
The Arts + Creative Industries Guide (Washtenaw County)
$100 Million Economic Impact Nonprofit Arts Report. Washtenaw County
Americans for the Arts (AFTA) Creative Industry Reports
2021 Congressional Arts Handbook
Facts, figures, related legislation, research, talking points, and more to help inform you on the major policy issues we are working to positively impact.